Friday, October 30, 2015

6 Awesome things at our school. Part 1

When you are a classroom teacher, your world is often reduced to within the walls of your own classroom.

As a new vice principal, I am loving the fact that I get to visit classrooms ALL THE TIME.

Former colleagues are always sharing teaching ideas and strategies, and this year I have the opportunity to share  all of the awesomeness that I get to see.

Here is a tiny glimpse into some of the "awesome" from our primary classrooms:

Brain Breaks


  • Our teachers get students up and moving with Go Noodle, bins of printed brain break cards, and constant song, dance and movement.  I just love it when I get the chance to join in!! "Swing around your tables like monkeys eating bananas..."  Right On!

Collaboration

  • Making collaboration special. One teacher has group sets of different coloured ball caps that students wear when participating in special collaboration activities with their groups. Each hat is assigned so no head lice worries.  Students get to keep their hats at the end of the year. How fun is that?!

Classroom Greeters

  • As an adult visiting a classroom, it is so neat to be greeted and welcomed to the class by a 5 or 6 year old, complete with a handshake and an introduction. I love this real-world skill being taught.

Fun Attention Grabbers

  • "Macaroni and cheese..."      Everybody freeze!
  • "Class, class..."   Yes, Yes!
  • clapping patterns and so many more!

Lunchtime Friend Reward

  • Imagine getting to invite anyone you want to come to your classroom to have lunch with you?  What a great way to make a students day.  I'm thinking I may want to try this someday at the office (if I ever get time to actually sit down and eat lunch....   :-)

Camper of the Week

  • A classroom with a camping theme (complete with trees and a "campfire" meeting area) has a Camper of the Week. Pictures and info about the student are on display for the week - what a great way to get to know each other and create classroom culture.
This post could continue on and on and on.  Stay tuned for part 2 of the awesomeness that I get to see at our school. 

1 comment: